Thursday, February 10, 2011

At First Sight by Catherine Hapka

Title: At First Sight
Author: Catherine Hapka
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Release Date: April 6, 2010
Date Read: February 4 - 8, 2011
Rating: 3/5 stars

Summary
In At First Sight, when Lauren meets the perfect guy at the planetarium, she feels like the stars have finally aligned in her favor. The only problem is she met him in the dark and they never got a good look at each other… or got each other’s names. Now, Lauren must take matters into her own hands and find the mystery guy before she loses him forever.

Review
Such a cute read! Simon Romantic is one of my favourite series of teen novels; I love how each of them are cute, short, simple "beach reads" about a variety of relationships. While the plotline of At First Sight was practically the same as Cinderella Story (minus the Cinderella part) it was so cute and quirky that I didn't even notice. Lauren's love of fashion, music, her addiction to the internet, and her relationships with friends and family made her such a realistic character...one I'd love to be friends with. I thought Riley was a dolt and didn't understand why he didn't see Lauren was right in front of him but he made up for it by being such a polite and courteous boy rather than "the jerk" that we see so often in teen literature. I particularly liked Lauren's quirky parents and their food mission. I'm a big food lover (truly, who isn't though?) and I've sort of been inspired by the book to try some new foods. I've been meaning to check out a local African restaurant for a while now. Will let you know how it goes!

Favourite Quote: "We really have to stop meeting like this."

Recommended: The Twelve Dates of Christmas (Catherine Hapka), The Year of Secret Assignments (Jaclyn Moriarty), Miss Match (Wendy Toliver).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment? Want to share your own review or post? I'd love to hear from you! I read every single comment.