Monday, May 23, 2011

Armchair BEA: Introduction

BookExpo America (BEA) is the largest annual book fair held in the USA every May. It's an amazing opportunity for book publishers, authors, and bloggers to meet and discuss current book issues. 


For those unable to attend BEA, Armchair BEA, the online equivalent, is the next best thing. For the five days of the fair (May 23th - 28th) there are online discussion topics and giveaways for book bloggers around the world to participate in. 

Introduction


Hello! Welcome to The Zealous ReaderMy name is Laura and I'm the 17-year-old high school student behind the curtain. I started this blog in January 2011 to finally join the awesome online book community I'd admired for so many years. I read and review YA novels obsessively and absolutely love blogging. 


At The Zealous Reader I participate in several memes but I also created my own: Wannabee Book Hipster. Every Saturday I feature underrated or unappreciated YA novels that need more blogging attention. I also post a discussion/list feature every Thursday.

My current Top 5 favourite novels are:
  • Harry Potter series (J.K. Rowling)
  • Audrey, Wait! (Robin Benway)
  • Impossible (Nancy Werlin)
  • Immortals series (Tamora Pierce)
  • Just Listen (Sarah Dessen)

Unfortunately I'm unable to attend BEA this year due to financial restrictions and the fact that I live in Canada.  I'm already planning to attend next year though, so hopefully I'll be able to meet all you lovely book bloggers out there!


Thanks for dropping by! If you're a fellow Armchair-er, leave a link to your blog and I'll be sure to check it out!

5 comments:

  1. Laura,

    So glad to see you participating! I hope you do get to BEA at some point, it's pretty amazing (and tiring, LOL). I love your argyle pattern, I have this attraction to argyle that I can't quite explain :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I'll definitely go to BEA at some point if I have the money. NYC isn't that far from SW Ontario, so at least I wouldn't have to go across the country or anything. My first goal is to save up for Disney World though, because I clearly had a very deprived childhood (ha!) and I've never been.

    I love the idea of 'Wannabee Book Hipster' ... I should definitely try and participate in the future, because I know of a few books that are amazing that haven't been read very much (at least on Goodreads).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the book blogging world! It's such a fun place to hang out. I'm enjoying your blog and will be back to visit often!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to meet you Laura and I'm glad you're joining in Armchair BEA! I hope you have a lot of fun this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, so I have to admit that I have never read Harry Potter (okay, well I read the first one in 6th grade, but that's it). I plan to fix that soon, though, because I know they are just such good books!

    Anyway, it is so nice to meet you, and I look forward to seeing you around Armchair BEA!

    ReplyDelete

Have a comment? Want to share your own review or post? I'd love to hear from you! I read every single comment.