Thursday, February 17, 2011

Candor by Pam Bachorz

Title: Candor
Author: Pam Bachorz
Publisher: Egmont USA
Release Date: September 22, 2009
Date Read: February 10 - 16, 2011
Rating: 4/5 stars

Summary
The picture-perfect new town of Candor, Florida, is attracting more and more new families, drawn by its postcard-like small-town feel, with white picket fences, spanking-new but old-fashioned-looking homes, and neighborliness.

But the parents are drawn by something else as well.  They know that in Candor their obstreperous teenagers will somehow become rewired - they'll learn to respect their elders, to do their chores, and enjoy their homework.  They'll give up the tattoos, metal music, and partying that have been driving their parents crazy.  They'll become every parent's dream.

Review
Wow! What an intense novel. I thought I wouldn't be able to finish and type a review by the weekend, but as luck has it, I had a spare today. Woot! Let's start from the top. The opening and first dozen-or-so chapters were necessary to establish character, plot, setting, etc. but dragged on far too long in my opinion. I couldn't wait for the action to start, which it never did. If I could change one thing about this novel, I'd ask for some sort of chase scene or smack down. It would've upped the pace. That being said, Candor is genius! Pam Bachorz created an amazing concept for her novel full of romance, dystopia, mystery, and a smidge of adventure. While I found some of the plots a little "too" perfect in that everything had perfect timing and worked out on time, it certainly added to the plot to have such a diverse cast of characters contribute to Oscar's dilemma. My favourite part was the contrast between Mandi and Nia as a metaphor for Oscar's life: his outward appearance as a perfect Candor son, his personality as a rebel. I definitely picked up on the sublte symbolisms present. I hope they make this into a movie someday!

Favourite Quote: "They melted my girl down and poured her into their mold. And this perversion is what she cooled into. I can’t be near her. Can’t see her, smell her, hear her voice chirping like a bird."

Recommended: Uglies (Scott Westerfeld), Brave New World (Aldous Huxley), Looking for Alaska (John Green), The Giver (Lois Lowry), Little Brother (Cory Doctorow), The Host (Stephenie Meyer)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment? Want to share your own review or post? I'd love to hear from you! I read every single comment.